Bringing GAP 2 RATED Products to the Frozen Meat Case
Oakwood, GA. (November 2019) – This week, Georgia-based Wayne Farms announced that more than 270 Harris Teeter stores will now carry its Global Animal Partnership (GAP) Step 2-rated NAKED TRUTH® Premium Chicken products. Selections include four fully cooked, frozen chicken products: Flame Grilled Chicken Breast Fillets, Grilled Chicken Breast Chunks, Waffle Flavored Chicken Bites, and Oven Roasted Chicken Wings.
Located in the eastern states of North and South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Florida, Delaware, Maryland and the
District of Columbia, Harris Teeter becomes the fourth major retailer to carry the NAKED TRUTH® Premium Chicken brand.
“Retailers have identified a growing number of conscientious consumers who seek animal welfare certified chicken products and are willing to pay more for that certification,” said Tom Bell, vice president sales prepared foods at Wayne Farms. “With the recent construction of a state-of-the art, controlled-atmosphere stunning system we continue to address consumer concerns with new solutions in enhanced animal care, in addition to honoring our GAP commitments for chickens raised under the NAKED TRUTH® Premium Chicken brand,” concluded Bell.
The brand can also be found in national retailers Whole Foods Market and Walmart stores, with plant-forward Caulipower® New Chick on the Block line of tenders, which is made with NAKED TRUTH® Premium Chicken. The New Chicken on the Block line also has the potential to make its way into other retailers that already carry Caulipower® products such as Costco Wholesale Stores, Target and Fresh Thyme.
Humane Care Certified
What Bell’s talking about was recently validated through extensive market studies, including a 2016 American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) Labeling Survey1 that found:
- 77 percent of consumers were concerned about the welfare of animals raised for food;
- 78 percent thought there should be an objective third-party involved;
- 67 percent of consumers would purchase welfare-certified products, even if it meant a modest price increase.
A 2018 ASPCA/Technomic study2 showed retailers responding to trends with:
- 30 percent of supermarket decision makers interested in stocking more products specifically describing humane treatment of animals;
- Over 70 percent of those stocking products with humane claims reported sales increasing from those products over the past three years.
Easy Display and User Prep
All products are fully cooked, frozen, and finish easily. Packages include finishing instructions, brand story, nutritional information, and vibrant, full-color photography on gusseted bags for attractive shelf placement. UPC codes offer flexible merchandising options.
- All Natural
- No Artificial Ingredients—including no preservatives, nitrates or nitrites
- Farm Raised;
- 100% Vegetarian Diet (no animal by products);
- No Antibiotics Ever.
Individual Product Descriptions:
- Flame-Grilled Chicken Breast Fillets—two, five-ounce, individually wrapped chicken breast fillets with authentic grill marks and sous vide preparation to prevent dryness; 10-ounce bag, gluten free.
- Grilled Chicken Breast Chunks—lightly marinated in a savory broth and flame grilled; 12-ounce bag, four servings per package, gluten free.
- Waffle Flavored Chicken Bites—savory chicken bites lightly breaded in a sweet waffle flavored batter; 12-ounce bag, four servings per package.
- Oven Roasted Chicken Wings—crispy chicken wings, ready to sauce or season; 12-ounce bag, four servings per package, gluten free.
Wayne Farms supports retailers for NAKED TRUTH® Premium Chicken with point-of-sale materials, in-store demos, social media channels, consumer care, store locator, blog, and brand website at nakedtruthchicken.com.
About Global Animal Partnership (GAP). Improving the lives of farm animals, step-by-step™: From the organization’s website: Since its founding in 2008, GAP has grown from a small grassroots farm animal welfare organization to now impacting over 290 million farm animals across the world. GAP is a non-profit organization of farmers, scientists, retailers, manufacturers, and animal advocates, all collaborating with a common purpose: improving farm animal welfare.
1Lake Research Partners summary of online survey designed and conducted of 1,000 American adult consumers regarding labeling of meat, eggs, and dairy products and the treatment of animals raised for food.
2"Understanding Retailers’ Animal Welfare Priorities"